Ohhhh… chicken wings, how I love thee.
Sticky and yummy. Gooey and messy. Frugal and easy. You can never have too many. Or can you?
Some serve them as an appetizer. In our home, they are dinner. While nothing else is really necessary to serve with them, Kayotic Corn (on the cob) from Kayotic Kitchen, or a light Baby Red Potato Salad from Skinny Taste, would be a great combo!
The original recipe calls for fish sauce. Good luck trying to find a kosher (and truly pareve!) version. I’d sub half soy sauce and half worcestershire sauce.
BUDGETING TIP: I stock up on pounds and pounds of wings when they are on sale for 89c or 99c a pound!
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2½ pounds chicken, tips removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ⅛ cup soy sauce
- ⅛ cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 handful peanuts, chopped
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Remove the hard end and outer layer of the lemongrass stalk. Bruise the white ends of your stalks with the blunt edge of a large knife (it helps release the lemongrass “juices”), then thinly slice and mince. You should end up with about 1 tablespoon of minced lemongrass. Discard the green tops.
- Marinate the chicken: In a small bowl, combine the lemongrass, garlic, shallot, ginger, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lime juice, peanut oil, brown sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Place the chicken wings into a large resealable freezer bag and pour the marinade over the wings.
- Close the freezer bag and shake so that the chicken is well-coated with marinade. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir together the honey and soy sauce and set aside. Line a large sheet tray with foil or parchment paper. Place the wings on the tray and roast for 30 minutes, basting the wings with the honey-soy mixture once about half-way through and once close to the end of the roasting time.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the wings to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts and cilantro on top and serve.